Monday, November 21, 2011

Diary of a Versace for H&M Shopper

As we all know, this weekend The Very Best of Versace for H&M was released to the American public for sale, and people sure got "VERSASSE" ABOUT IT! (some of us are still recovering from the mayhem, myself included)

 The collection, spearheaded by Donatella Versace, was an homage to infamous brother Gianni Versace who was murdered in 1997, but who's colorful patterns changed the fashion scene forever.
Easily the most anticipated designer collaboration  of the past couple  years, we're happy to report The Society Editor, Rony Patzan, was on the scene the day of the madness all over Manhattan for the release of the collection. And this is the Diary of a Versace for H&M Shopper.
Asked about why NOW was the perfect time for Versace to go mass-market, this is what Donatella had to say, 
"Because of all the young people who have decided to wear Versace vintage. Lady Gaga, for instance. And there is also a lot of homage to Versace happening in fashion. It is a very attractive homage, but this is the real Versace, and I think they should wear the real one. This is fashion right now. It’s not about being the same. It’s not about being safe. It’s about daring, and it’s about making people dream, too. There are not many things to dream about in the world right now, but fashion is one of them."
I'm happy to report, I got my hands on some of the incredible pieces from the collection!

NYC began to queue up for the collection the day before the release, with a number of people in line by 6PM Friday evening. Needless to say, by the time 7AM rolled around and people began receiving their multicolored wristbands assigning them to their designated time slots, there were hundreds of New Yorkers (and Jersey piggy-backers) anxiously jumping up and down, stretching, and creating shopping strategies with their fellow shoppers on how to get the most wanted items!

 These Tweets give you a good idea what people were like Saturday morning...

And then out of nowhere it happened: doors flung open among the many H&Ms around the city carrying the Versace collection. Personally, experiencing 2 former collaboration camp-outs (Comme des Garcons, and Lanvin) I knew this was one collection I did not have the stamina to fight people over. Make that one collection I didn't want to risk getting hurt over!

I arrived at the Herald Square H&M at 1PM. RUNNING to the Men's section I passed what seemed like a 2 hour wait to enter the women's FENCED OFF AREA (I kid you not), good thing I wasn't after any of that. Unfortunately for me, the one thing I HAD TO HAVE, was gone. I left the store Hot Pink Suit-less.

Store two, speed walking to the 7th ave H&M I struck gold, though the women's line was a little less ridiculous, maybe a one hour wait? I dashed to a half-empty rack of mens goodies, BINGO: BLACK WOOL COAT WITH LEATHER SLEEVES. Not originally on my have-to-have-it-or-I'll-die list, but the moment I tried the 38R on, I knew it was meant to be. Next thing I knew a shot of pink hit me, HEART POUNDS: then bittersweet satisfaction, the hot pink leather shoes. If I can't have the suit, I'll at least take the shoes. I left partially satisfied with my 2 purchases, but felt the addicting rush of the hunt-and-kill rushing through my veins. "I have to keep trying," I told myself.

Don't ever try 5th Ave unless you're camping out overnight! Lesson learned!
Store 3: 41st & 5th ave. Walk in, ask associate, "Sold Out of EVERYTHING," walk out.

Store 4: Flagship 5th Ave store, walk in: HELLO MADNESS. The line for the women's section is INSANITY. Looks like the colored wristband system had people who had waited for hours, having to wait as late as 4PM to shop the women's section, WHAT?! Lucky for me, I am not looking for any women's Versace. Then I find out I'm not THAT lucky, men's has totally sold out except for black suit pants, I'll pass, but thanks 5th Ave H&M.

At this point my twitter feed is depressing me, I've tried 4 stores with minimal luck, should I try one more?


 THEN I SAW THIS TWEET!! Robbie, whoever you are, I will not let your obsession with crazy, brightly colored prints be better than MY obsession with fearless fashion, I GO TO F.I.T. FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!

So after my Robbie "enlightenment" off to the nearest H&M I went! Lexington & 59th Street...
At this point I was exhausted, I had been shopping for what seemed like hours (in reality only an hour and 20 minutes) and was dying of thirst. Thirst for something Versace, of course.

Then I experienced a mirage, a gorgeous scenery of tropical palm trees against a aqua backdrop, but it had to be a dream. I stepped closer, paying close attention to the 3 gay men around me, it HAD to be a mirage because they weren't looking at it. I reached my hand out hoping to quench my thirst, IT WAS REAL!! THERE WAS ONE MIAMI PALM TREE PRINT SWEATER ON THE RACK AND IT WAS A SIZE SMALL!! I was giving my thanks to the House of Versace Gods!!
The moment I grabbed the sweater, a shot of crazy black/white hit me, IT WAS THE SCARF!! My hand instinctively went for it. That's when I noticed the look of newly arrived men to the Versace section, envy, the same look a dog gives you while you're eating a steak. They were eying my sweater, starving for color in their wardrobes. I knew I had to get out of there quick if I wanted to leave injury-free and with the sweater, I ran to the queue to check out!

2 hours of crazy shopping, 5 h&m locations (all on foot because it was faster than the subway), and hundreds of dollars later, I was happy. Who says money can't buy happiness? Obviously they've never worn a Versace-print sweater before that screams "FEARLESS & PROUD OF IT!"


In the end, it was a partially successful experience, although my heart will always yearn for that hot pink suit, it beats loud and proud for my Miami tropical print sweater, hot pink shoes, leather coat, and Versace black/white print scarf! I learned my lesson though, do like the people in the video did and CAMP OUT when there is something I HAVE TO HAVE. Check out "What did you buy?" from Grazia!

No comments:

Post a Comment