Monday, November 7, 2011

Where We're Shopping: Saffron Rare Threads

Well HELLO THERE dear readers and happy Monday! Hope your week is off to a good start. If you have a moment on break during class or are procrastinating from homework, we have a treat for you! We caught up with Kelly Kirkner, buyer for San Francisco boutique Saffron Rare Threads to talk with her about the ins and outs of being a buyer for an independently-owned boutique!

From the current Saffron Rare Threads collection.

The Society: How did you get started working in fashion?

Kelly Kirkner: I started out working as a make-up artist at a small store in St. Louis. I really disliked doing make-up, so I decided to go work for a women’s clothing store. After that, I just kept selling clothes and managing people who sell clothes. About a year ago I moved out to San Francisco and started working for a local designer in the Financial District.


Sequins? Why yes, I would love some.
TS: What are some of your tasks as a buyer at Saffron Rare Threads?

KK: I think the most important part of my job is staying in tune with what Saffron customers want. Often that really means being a good listener. I pay very close attention to why some items do or don't sell, and try to use that knowledge to be a more effective buyer. I also try to stay on top of what's happening in the fashion industry, so I read a lot of blogs, a few magazines and use Twitter a lot, too. Then there's the paper work stuff, like tracking orders, inventory management, and dealing with vendors (returns, damaged merchandise, etc.).

TS: What are some of the advantages of working for a small company?

KK: The biggest advantage of working for a smaller company like Saffron is having creative freedom. I have no set guidelines or goals to meet, so it allows me to really focus on what I love to do. Another benefit is that Priya (Priya Saraswati, owner and designer of the bran Saffron Rare Threads) is a lover of all things fashion, so it's great to work for someone who shares the same passion as you.

From the Grit, Gloss and Glamor fashion show, Oct 2011
TS: How do you work with vendors to bring new product into the store?

KK: When I started out, Saffron didn't carry many lines outside of Priya's  own collection. But, she wanted to start carrying other brands that would compliment her line, and my first task was to find a denim line for the store. In that case, I really started from scratch: I got online, did some research and sent a bunch of emails until I found the vendor of an amazing new denim brand who was willing to work with a small boutique. In other cases, I've brought in vendors whose clothes I already owned, and just went straight to their wholesale department. There were even a few times where I saw items in fashion magazines that I thought would work in the store, contacted the vendor, and had it within a few weeks.

Grit, Gloss, and Glamor (Not so gritty, but flawlessly glossy!)
TS: What’s your favorite part about being a buyer?

KK: My favorite part about being a buyer is seeing women actually purchase the clothes that I've chosen for the store. When I love a dress, and other women love that same dress enough so that it sells out in a week, it excites me and I feel a sense of accomplishment. A very close second would be going to trade shows and show rooms. It's like a shopping fantasy because I'm buying for people who live different lives and/or have different careers than I do. So I kind of vicariously live through them and think "If I were a lawyer/doctor/banker, this is what I would wear."

TS: What advice can you offer to students who want to get into buying or who may be interested in owning their own boutiques one day?

KK: Number one is get a degree. It will make your life so much easier (this is coming from someone without one). Also BE HUMBLE, work really, really hard, don't take yourself too seriously, don’t get married in your 20s (trust), and have passion for what you do. We're not saving lives here! If you have a good eye for clothes then it will show in your work, and you will be a great buyer.

As for owning your own boutique, it's hard! I see the kind of work Priya puts in, and it is crazy! But, running a boutique is more than picking good clothes. In fact, it’s best if you have a good amount of retail experience and solid accounting skills. Oh, and location is key!

Kelly herself! Thanks for all the advice, girl!
Well there you have it, dear readers, the inside scoop from a very accomplished and passionate buyer! Let us know what you think! 

And while you're at it, check out Saffron's blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment